Finding potential roommates has never been easier in this tech-savvy day and age. Websites and roommate-finder apps can help you narrow down the “perfect match;” just type in your zip code and preferences, and you have a list of likely candidates to choose from. But before you take the final step on deciding who to share your home with, or who you want to move in with, here are a list of questions you should ask your potential roommate that will help you make the right choice.
- What is your schedule like? Does your potential roommate go to bed early, and wake up early? Or, do they work nights and sleep during the day? How does their schedule affect yours? Making sure that your schedules are compatible beforehand will help you know whether you will be a good fit living with each other down the road.
- Do you like to keep your place clean? If you like to keep your place neat and tidy and you end up with a roommate who lives in a constant mess, you are going to have a huge problem on your hands. Finding someone who matches your standard of cleanliness is going to be easier for everyone all around.
- How do you spend your weekends? If your potential roommate likes to have friends over and party late into the night, but you like to use that time to catch up on your sleep, then you might have a problem at some point. Keep in mind that your weekend schedules might conflict when searching for a roommate, but decide whether it’s a deal breaker.
- What is your romantic situation like? Living with a roommate who has a boyfriend/girlfriend can turn out to be more like having two roommates instead of one. Knowing what to expect when it comes to this is important, and can save you from potential awkward or frustrating situations.
- Do you drink or smoke? If you prefer a smoke free environment or don’t drink on the weekends, then rooming with someone who has their cigarettes or beer bottles around the house can cause problems. Being mindful of your potential roommates lifestyle preferences can be hugely beneficial when picking the right rooming partner.
- What is your climate preference in the apartment? If you would rather open a window or turn on a fan and save on the electric bill, but your future roommate would rather crank up the AC to arctic temperatures, then you’ve got one more thing to possibly argue over. Finding a roommate with your same climate preference will make things a lot easier.
- Do you have any pets? Having a pet in the house can be a wonderful thing, but if you are rooming with someone who has a pet, but whose schedule doesn’t allow for them to be home and take care of that pet, then you might find yourself taking care of the pet more than your roommate does. This is something to think about.
We hope you found these tips helpful for choosing the perfect roommate for you! At Apartment Specialists we love to help make your apartment living experience a good one. We also love helping individuals in Austin find the perfect apartment to call home! Our expert apartment locators answer phones 7 days a week and can help you find the perfect place that meets your wants, needs, and budget! Best of all, our locating service is free of charge, call 512 241 1111 today!