Thousands of people move to Austin or relocate within Austin every year because of job changes. In a city growing by 110 people per day, the complaint we hear most often centers around traffic. The majority of the renters we see are hoping to find an apartment that fits their lifestyle and allows for a reasonable commute to their place of work. With that in mind, we wanted to give some insight into Austin’s largest employers and the rental options that surround them. This is the sixth in a series of articles titled ‘Minimum Commute, Maximum Lifestyle’ and will focus on Samsung Austin Semiconductor.
Samsung Austin Semiconductor employs over 2,000 people in its Austin plant, which is Samsung Electronics' only semiconductor manufacturing plant located outside Korea. The complex has one of the most advanced semiconductor plants in the United States where state-of-the-art NAND Flash memory chips are made. Samsung recently announced it will build a $1 Billion display module assembly plant in Vietnam, its first production facility in the country.
Samsung employs people in a variety of positions at its Austin Semiconductor including Facilities Operations Engineers (Median annual salary $69,979 for a Facilities Engineer II), Facilities Senior Maintenance Technicians (median salary $65,709 for a Facilities Maintenance Supervisor), HR Benefits Specialists (median salary $88,604 for a Benefits Manager), IT Systems Engineers (median salary $59,233 for a Systems Engineer I), Procurement Specialists (median salary $97,887 for an IT Procurement Manager) and many more. All salary figures are from www.salary.com for 78754, Austin Samsung Semiconductor's zip code.
For lunch, employees have many options to choose from. Pho King is just four minutes from Samsung by car and serve Pho, Vermicelli bowls, and other Vietnamese specialities. Ross' Old Austin Cafe is ten minutes from Samsung and has American style food and a great salad bar.
For happy hour drinks with coworkers, Zed's is a seven minute drive and has American food with a New Zealand twist, as well as great happy hour specials on their extensive beer, wine and cocktail list. Vasquez Restaurant is 6 minutes away and serves authentic Mexican food and beer and wine.
You won't have to commute far to your new job at Samsung if you choose one of the apartments in the area, of which there are many with lots of amenities.
- Arium Tech Ridge was built in 2010 and is 5 minutes from Samsung via surface streets. 1-2 bedroom apartments are available, ranging in size from 648 to 1,240 square feet. Apartments feature stainless steel appliances, full sized washer and dryers, large walk-in closets, and 9-foot ceilings. The community has a large dog park and play area, attached and detached garages available, a resort-style pool with cabanas and a modern business center.
- Lakewood Apartments, built in 2013, are 10 minutes by car from Samsung and offer 1-2 bedroom apartments. Apartments feature granite counters, expresso cabinetry with stainless steel pulls, oval garden tubs, high ceilings, and painted kitchen and bedroom accent walls. The community features a poolside fireplace and lounging area, breezeway storage units, stainless-steel gas barbecue grills and dining area, and a dog park.
- Marquis at Canyon Ridge is only five minutes from Samsung and was built in 2008. Apartments are from 1-2 bedrooms and 800 to 1,205 square feet and feature open floor plans, oversized private patios and balconies with exterior storage, gourmet kitchens, and full size washer and dryer connections. This gated community was a 2011 Property of the Year, has breathtaking Hill Country Views, an resort-style pool, walking trails around the property, and a clubhouse with resident events.
- Marquis at Center Ridge, built in 2008, are 8 minutes away and feature one and two bedroom apartments ranging from 615 to 1,045 square feet. Apartments feature European Shaker Style Cabinets, nine-foot ceilings with crown molding, large balconies or patios, and large walk-in closets with custom shelving. The community has a complimentary tanning studio, executive business center, clubroom with fireplace and conversation area, and wi-fi throughout the clubhouse and pool area.
- Marquis at Tech Ridge is 8 minutes via surface streets from Samsung and was built in 2007. 1-2 bedroom apartments are available which range from 565 to 1,045 square feet and feature built-in microwaves, designer drop pendant lighting, built-in cabinets and computer workstations, and open floor plans. The community is close to shopping and dining, has a 24-hour laundry facility, computer lab, and covered parking and garages are available.
- The Oaks at Tech Ridge, built in 2012, are ten minutes away without ever getting on the freeway and have one and two bedroom apartments. Units feature energy-efficient double-paned windows, granite countertops, faux wood 2" blinds, and ceiling fans in the bedrooms. The community has a cabana with a big screen television, an oversized resort-style swimming pool with cascading fountains, and a 24-hour fitness facility with the latest cardio and weight equipment.
- Parmer Place, constructed in 2008, is just four minutes from Samsung and has one, two and three bedroom floorplans available, ranging from 667 to 1,521 square feet. Apartments feature home intrusion alarms, full-size washer and dryers, private entrances, oversized walk-in closets and nine-foot ceilings with crown moulding. The gated community includes cable, has resident events, a high-tech cardio strength training center, and a drive-through mail kiosk.
- San Paloma was built in 2000 and is 7 minutes from Samsung. Featuring 1-3 bedroom apartments from 575 to 1,250 square feet, amenities include berber carpet, oval garden bathtubs, pre-wire for telephone and cable in the living room, kitchen, and bedrooms, and designer white wood cabinetry in kitchens and bathrooms. The community has an on-site massage therapist, coffee bar/cafe, free video library, two complimentary tanning beds, a community amphitheater, and an indoor heated swimming spa.
- Settlers Ridge, just five minutes from Samsung, was built in 2000 and has 1-3 bedroom apartments ranging in size from 657 to 1,395 square feet. Apartments feature built-in 12 bottle wine racks, intrusion alarms, oversized walk-in closets, and washer/dryer hookups. Community amenities include controlled access gates, covered parking, complimentary fitness classes, an indoor basketball court, a lagoon style pool, storage spaces, a surround sound movie theater, and valet trash pick-up.
- Villas Tech Ridge are 10 minutes from Samsung, were built in 2008, and offer 1-3 bedroom apartments ranging from 712 to 1,336 square feet. Apartments include washer and dryers, have hardwood flooring, ceiling fans, double-paned windows, and mahogany cabinetry. The community has direct freeway access, is within walking distance of public transportation, has an e-lounge with free Wi-Fi and Billiards, and 3-12 month leases are available.
These are just a few of the rental options for Samsung employees. Our database features the most accurate and up-to-date pricing and availability for thousands of apartments across the city. Finding the perfect balance of minimal commute and maximum lifestyle for your budget can be challenging. As apartment locators, it is our job to provide you valuable insight into each of your rental options so you choose the best apartment the first time. Our service is free to our clients and can save you valuable days looking for a rental. Call 512-241-1111 today to schedule your appointment or visit www.austinapartmentspecialists.com for more information on our apartment locator services.